Saturday, July 16, 2011


Good Intentions:  Falling or Climbing?

Well, after issuing what seemed like an encouraging and appealing challenge, I find myself fumbling it!   As I began to feel successful at praying daily for those with whom I have less than a stellar relationship, I started to slack off—and things began to spiral.  New situations developed, and once again, I was faced with the decision to criticize and judge—or intercede.   Along with that choice, I also found that pit where my own heart began to beat against me, and I, too, was subject to the same dance.  Am I so unable to be positive, even about those whom I see very little to be positive about?  

I recently read somewhere that someone who was facing the same challenges decided to begin to thank God for the circumstances and for the people involved in them.  She began to speak gratitude to God even for the negative things as well as the positive ones.  Now that’s not a unique idea, having seen a number of references to the same topic in our most-loved Book.  However, it’s altogether different reading about someone else doing it and embarking on the same journey in this day and age when most of us just complain and give up, walking away from anyone who ruffles our feathers.  

But today, I was inspired by that writer to enumerate positive things regarding an individual with whom I’m extremely myopic when it comes to virtues.  After several minutes, I was able to come up with six, but also wrote down six negative things, so I’m not sure if that counts!  However, I was pretty happy about being able to recognize six good things!  And I’m realizing that the other six are for prayer—if I can only climb that mountain once again.  I’m most grateful that our God shared with us that He picks us up when we stumble and keeps us from falling (Psalm 145).  So up I climb, hanging onto His strong and kind hand, grateful that He can even find six things about me that He loves!

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting application of thanksgiving. I like the idea of giving thanks for someone I'm having a conflict with or frustrated with. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete