The Journey’s Guide
Following after God often seems like being in an enormous maze (like I once saw in England). From the upstairs window of the castle, one could easily see the way out of the myriad of stopping and starting paths, but from inside the maze, it seemed like an overly-tall jungle with no end. Our Father easily sees the path we’re on and is more than happy for His Holy Spirit to guide us through. But if I’m standing in the middle of it and have my cell phone turned off so no one above can call me, nor can I call them, then I’ve cut myself off from the only external source able to help. Is that not what I do with the Lord when I determinedly fix my eyes on a course which I can only see in a myopic way—like a horse with blinders that is constantly surprised when something sidles up beside him unexpectedly and which only knows the way to go as its driver guides it with the reins? Instead of seeking the only One Who can help me, I often focus on trying to do things by myself.
I’ve recently had a long period of seeking His face and the course He has for me, and this is exactly how it felt. Not yet being completely on the other side of the maze, but confident that I’m closer to the exit than I was a few months ago, I’m beginning to realize that my dependency on Him has increased the way a blind person’s hearing and other senses are radically altered after the eyesight disappears. What was once just background noise becomes quite meaningful when crossing a busy parking lot. And a coffee shop’s almost negligibly attractive smell, to the sightless becomes the directional source to follow when meeting a friend at the restaurant next door. This is how it feels to follow God as our relationship with Him deepens, isn’t it? Making decisions based on our own or someone else’s good ideas is no longer an option. We first go to the One we love the most to seek His opinion and counsel.
I’ve often heard mocking words spoken of those who ask God what outfit to wear, but I’ve begun to realize that most people who have drawn very near to Him aren’t necessarily asking His advice, but are merely having an active conversation—much the same as a wife to husband or vice versa. “Honey, should I wear my grey slacks with my pink or blue top?”
“Oh, you look great in the pink one—wear that!”
It’s not some dramatic encounter, or a plea for counsel as much as it’s simply an affectionate desire to know the other’s opinion and desires. This is how He wants us to interact with Him, isn’t it? Was Moses not like this? How about David, Joseph (of the many-colored coat, or even the stepdad of our Messiah), Mary, Deborah, etc.? Did they not commune with the Lord and talk to Him as one who is intimately close—like a very dear friend, spouse, child or sibling? This deep relationship removes the independence from those who are prone to finding the path alone, and causes the self-reliance to transform into a lovely relationship of interdependency. As I depend on the living God for help, He deigns to let me help Him!
As I’ve oft-traversed these life mazes—often without seeking Him, and finding myself to be quite lost, mixed up and unable to move forward—I’ve begun to realize that my circumstances are designed to drive me closer to my Beloved. And I don’t think this is meant to be temporary, but something He longs for me to grow in as I walk out my life on this strange planet. Truly, He’s closer than a friend, than a prayer, than our skin—because He dwells inside of us—isn’t that just the most extraordinary Truth?!
I love the metaphors you use to describe our following after God, the maze, the blind person going by sounds and scents. I could relate to this because I'm taking some time to seek Him for direction, and realize I need mainly to SEEK. HIM. Period.
ReplyDelete