Steppin’ Out
Wooossshhhh… That’s the sound of breath leaving my lips. Sometimes it’s challenging being a woman in ministry. And for those of you in the workforce—especially in male-dominated professions—I know it can be at least as complex. (For men reading this, I hope this subject won’t put you off, but will intrigue you!)
I can honestly say that I’ve done some research, but not nearly enough on the subject of women in leadership. Having been in leadership in the marketplace and in ministry, I find the problems are slightly different but still based on a concept that women shouldn’t lead men. This is—to say the least—a “sticky wicket.”
However, trying to determine the Biblical correctness of women in leadership doesn’t seem cut and dry. Having been in close quarters with some extraordinarily powerful women leaders in the marketplace and in ministry, I just can’t say that they’re missing the Lord’s mark by doing what they do. In fact, few men currently can keep pace with some of them. And oddly enough, some male leaders who oppose women leaders in ministry have allowed women to “share” from their pulpits. So far, I haven’t heard of anyone being struck by lightning or dying of a sudden heart attack for having allowed such a thing, but the odd thing is, these same leaders went back to default position as soon as that particular woman had finished, and continued the ban on women leading congregations in word and deed.
As I said, this is a quagmire that, as far as I know, has yet to be satisfactorily resolved. And sadly, if you’re hoping for answers here, I’m sincerely sorry to say that I don’t have any. What I do have are concerns that anyone would try and hold back another person powerfully-equipped (by God), from doing what He has called them to do, such as Biblical figures Deborah the judge and Priscilla the home-group leader with her husband, Aquila (a paradox because in the days the correspondence from the disciples were written, women’s names were always mentioned following their husbands’—except in this case).
I’m reminded of a wonderful saint born two centuries ago—Maria Woodworth Etter. As a thirty-something farmer’s wife, since her teens she had sensed God telling her to begin preaching. However, she steadily refused—on the grounds that she was an uneducated woman whose husband would not approve of such a thing and because she was a mother whose children needed her. However, after five of her six children died and the farm completely failed to produce, the Lord’s desire for her won out. She began to be invited to speak in churches, and quickly became a popular preacher—and traveled throughout the Midwestern US doing revival meetings. Though her husband had joined her in the ministry, after a few years he tired of tromping after her and began seeing another woman. After his infidelity became public (due to newspaper reports), Maria filed for divorce.
As she continued to follow the Lord’s call on her life, the anointing He gave her for healing and leading people to Him steadily increased, as did the results—people being healed in greater and greater numbers, and more importantly, a huge spike of lost souls coming into the kingdom at her meetings. Though this is arguable, I know, it seems that God approved her decision to continue. She has gone down in history as one of America’s great turn-of-the-century preachers and was an inspiration to other historical figures who became internationally-known spiritual leaders, such as FF Bosworth, John G. Lake and Smith Wigglesworth.
I believe that in these chaotic times, many are unwilling to be vocal about their faith and want to just get along with everyone—although this isn’t the model Jesus or His disciples gave us. deeply sense the urgency of this age, and feel the time has arrived for everyone available—regardless of gender—to openly tell others of their eternal hope. When a ship is facing a battle or emergency, this cry emerges: ”All hands on deck!” Everyone drops what they’re doing and immediately runs to battle stations. The Lord’s return is looming ever closer and I believe He’s quite happy to have His daughters fly into action to serve Him however and wherever and whenever He deems appropriate—opposed because of their gender or not. Rather than trying to prevent them from doing so by saying it’s not Biblical, I believe the Lord would have us commend and even egg others on to do the same—allowing the Lord to determine who shall lead as we willingly run after Him, our Supreme Leader. The clarion call to leave our daily concerns and seek the Lord for His heavenly ones is here. Man (pun intended) the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment